Wednesday, June 01, 2005

starsailor

I have the album pumping through my ears at the moment. and I think I have a great love for britrock/pop. Not as in the 90s stuff, although that is phenomenal- but overall. I mean, I loved Blur, loved SOME Oasis songs, worshipped The Verve, laughed together with Catatonia, had drive time with The Cardigans, moshed and emoed to Garbage, and giggled at Space. Oh. and who can forget Suede.

There's something about the dramatic inherent in UK music somehow. (Andreas Johnsson captured it perfectly with Glorious despite him being Scandinavian) Starsailor has melancholy and operatic drama all wrapped up in a grungy, skinny sounding voice.

It's the same with Snow Patrol, Keane, Coldplay, Travis, Damien Rice (who's not exactly britpop OR rock but extremely drama) yadda yadda yadda. Maybe it's their use of piano and violins. Somehow they manage to pull it together with a rock sensibility, and not sound like male Tori Amos-es and Sarah McLachlans. Maybe it's their crisp(y) Brit/UK accents.

I mean obviously there's more to the UK than britpop (George, Elton, Mick(?), Eric, electronica, 80s stuff) but since I'm talking about Britpop I'll keep it at britpop.

I could go on so I'll just shut up now. I've decided that if I were to ever to complile a list of my favourite acts in EACH genre, I'd have an encyclopedia.

changed track to: Tori Amos- Northern Lad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home