Sunday, April 03, 2005

samsara

It occurred to me last night, while reading my international advertising textbook, that perhaps I am not as multi-denominational as I think I am.

I liked to believe that I was multi-demonational. That I couldn't care two hoots and that all religions, in my mind anyway, are the same. All treated with the same importance. And then I realised.

That I am in fact, a Buddhist and slightly Christian all-believer. Make that a Mahayana Buddhist and slightly Christian all-believer.

It was somewhere in my textbook that in order to know other cultures, you should start with your own, because everyone's viewpoint on the world is skewed by their own culture. That we are biased and make judgements on others from the vantage point of our own culture.

Duh.

But I guess it took those words written down to make it occur to me.

I still maintain that all religions are equal, but I realise my thought processes are more Buddhist than I'd thought. (and maybe Karen-Burmese Christian. Who knows?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home